Adventures of Riding the Four Corners of the United States by Motorcycle

Day 45 - The Return Home


Like the lightning and thunder that awakened me early this morning, I was immediately struck with the startling invasion of realities that awaited me less than 100 miles up the road. Certainly, there are an abundance of positive things in returning home today. Seeing my long-suffering, hard-working and loving wife, Renae; reconnecting with my kids, and my grandson, Patrick Jordan (PJ), seeing the Kuhn & Company team, and returning to my work that has challenged and fulfilled me for 30 years, and continues to do so.

But, like the rain that was relentlessly punching the surface of the pond outside, there was the sense of being overwhelmed. No longer the relative freedom to casually explore back roads and highways, interesting small towns and extraordinary sights. The now pending deadlines and demands are inevitable (and justified given my 45 day absence), but nevertheless daunting. I am reminded of my days as a 10-year-old Cub Scout, vigorously repeating the motto, "We do our best". Keeping that in mind I remind myself that reentry after any extraordinary experience is almost always difficult.

The weather, like the deer that appeared to nibble at plants in the backyard during a short respite from the rain, may just be a reminder that life has cycles and seasons, some short and some longer, and we must do our best to engage, learn from and even enjoy each experience.

Now, enough sentimentality. I would be remiss if I did not thank those who have made this adventure possible. Firstly, I literally thank God for safety, health, excellent weather (no more than 6 or 7 hours of rain the whole 45 days), and an album of lifelong memories that have now been created. As well, I am deeply indebted to Renae for encouraging me to take this trip. As one other biker I met put it, "You must have a lot of domestic capital". I will choose to interpret that to mean that my wife loves me dearly, if undeservedly. Secondly, I am extremely thankful for the Kuhn & Company team (not to mention the tremendous patience of clients), who have been so supportive in enabling me to be gone from the office for so long. Next I want to express my appreciation for my travel mate, George, who put up with my snoring and getting us lost more than once (even numerous times at the same place!). I am also sincerely appreciative of those who opened their homes to us (who you will find referenced and resistantly pictured in postings of prior days). Lastly, for those of you who have read this blog, thank you for the encouragement and giving me a focus for recording the events, experiences and reactions of each day. I hope that it has been an encouragement to others who, like a 57-year-old with Parkinson's disease, may have dreams that, though demanding, are well worth pursuing.

Not one of the past 45 days has gone by without thinking of my friend, Hugh Stansfield. Not only did he encourage me to take this trip (he would have loved nothing more than to be on it), and to assume the task of writing a blog (which he had so faithfully undertaken on our 2008 cross Canada adventure), he has been a continuous "companion" reminding me that despite some discomfort, challenges, and even pain from time to time, the adventure, like life, is well worth it.

PS. There will be one final post on this blog answering some questions about the trip and summarizing details.